How to Build a Road Bike Step 8, Mounting Your Brakes
A FREE 43 page Full Color eBook – Available in PDF and iBook Format (iPhone/iPad)
- 15 FREE HD Step by Step Videos
- 110 FREE Full Color Pictures
- Torque Wrench (TW-1 or TW-5)
- Socket and Bit Set (SBS-1)
- Hex Set (HXS-1.2)
- Front and Rear Brakes
- If you are using wheels with carbon brake tracks, it is highly recommended that you use carbon compatible brake pads. Check with the manufacturer of your wheels for their recommendation.
- There is an accompanying video available here.
1. Place any spacers on the brake bolt before placing the brake on the frameset (see Figure 1).
2. Insert the brake bolt into the brake bolthole in the bicycle frame and connect the brake bolt nut using a hex tool (finger tight only) (see Figure 2).
3. Center the brake pads on both sides of the brake track on the wheel and tighten the break bolt nut to the manufacturer’s recommended value using a torque wrench.
4. You can repeat this process on the front brake.
5. You now have properly mounted brakes.
This completes the mounting of your brakes.
We hope you enjoyed this how-to article. For more great content, please register for our free monthly newsletter at the top of the column on the right. We send links to all the articles we post during the month.